Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Riding!

December 21 was the first day of winter so I celebrated by going on a road ride (It was also my chance to finally get some riding in after weeks of inactivity due to exams). It was pretty mild for this time of the year with temperatures barely dipping into -10 with the windchill and winds calm at 5km/hr.

I set out with a buddy of mine, he on his vintage Raleigh and I on my track bike. This was my first cold ride wearing my road shoes so I was not sure how to winterize properly but some folks suggested wearing plastic bags over my socks to help block the wind and I’m so glad I listened to them. My toes were freezing only 10k in! Luckily I had an extra pair of socks but it was still chilly with 2 pairs of socks and a pair of plastic bags but by the time I put them on it was pretty much too late and there wasn’t a chance for my toes to re-warm up. We decided to call it quits at Port Credit, just 25k out from the ride rather than going the extra 15km to Oakville. After a coffee break at a coffee shop to warm up and regain feeling in my toes it was back to TO. Overall, I pulled off a wee bit over 50km at an average of 23km/hr and my legs are super sore but I deserve it for taking a long time off the bike.


Me.


My Ride.


My accomplice.

No comments: